Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Our Christmas

Happy New Years, everyone!!

We had a great, short holiday down in Lethbridge with the Thompson side of the family.  I think this is the first year since we have been married that we haven't seen both sides of parents over the Christmas holidays, but we will be spending New Years day with Robison's (Thanks Jen!), so still getting time with both sides.
Another difference this year was the break.  Last year was the first year I worked but my job gave us the week off in between Christmas and New Years.  This year I asked for the 24 off and got the two stats the 25-26.  It was unusual compared to our student holidays of at least a week or two.  But we were able to get in some nice memories and that is what counts!

I was spoilt this year by Scott who got me a Petunia Picklebottom diaper bag and an electric piano... After reading a few things on it, I think I may have the ability to record the piano AND myself singing to it and put it onto my computer from the piano...  When Scott wants to buy something, he always researches it first and finds out what is the best for his money.  He gets this from his dad.  It was such a great surprise!  When we got to Coaldale, I saw the box but Scott asked me what it was and told me I better not have spent too much on him... Tricked me for sure!  He also got a very nice antique styled round frame to decorate the baby's room.  We got some games from Jawn, movie passes from Scott's parents, books from my parents, with a family photo book which will be a special piece to show kids.  We also got treats and I got Sense and Sensibility, the book- Thanks, Jawn for giving that one up.

We were able to listen to Alice in Wonderland and the beginning of the Princess and the Goblin on the trip down and back up which was nice and staying in Coaldale by ourselves gave us time to chat and time to play with Huck.

Another great thing that happened over Christmas was watching Les Mis!!  I know my dad was disappointed in the leading males because of their singing capabilities but for me the show was superbe.  I do like "Stars" by Norm Lewis better that any other version but Anne Hathaway... WOW!  That's all I can say.  I also was super surprised by the 'nobodies' in the movie- Marius, Epony, Cossette as a child, the priest- they were all great- The priest, Colm Wilkinson, in the movie was the original Jean Valjean (10th Anniversary) and Phantom- from Phantom of the Opera (Royal Albert Hall).  Here he is singing Bring Him Home and Music of the Night.  I completely agree that the actors who played the leading males were not as great at singing as the broadway singers but they were so good at giving their characters feeling through the acting that you don't see in the broadway.  I also think that some of their singing was great- like Jackman singing "What have I done"- I couldn't find this on Youtube- but if you want to download the 2012 music, its on itunes.  It was SOOO good!  But I did worry about my 12 year old brother sitting next to us through it as it is a dark movie at times but he survived. lol

A few crazy happenings over Christmas all had to do with Huckleberry... I guess he is preparing us for parenthood. lol

When decorating the Christmas tree, we left the decorations on the table so that Huck couldn't get at them while we let the tree settle.  Someone left the chair out when we left that day and I got a call on the way home from Scott telling me that Huck had gotten into the ornaments and anything with feathers was destroyed- we had a lot of birds on our tree, and Scott's nut was gone.  When Scott was in kindergarden he made a snowman out of a nut that had a scarf and sunglasses on.  It has been on his mother's tree ever since until we got married and it moved with us.  Scott was pretty sad to see his nut go, I guess we will have to teach our kids how to make snowmen out of nuts... Later that week we went to Jim's house and he had a nut made into a strawberry on his tree.  Huck actually touched it-he must have remembered the taste of the last one because it is unusual for him to touch the tree he knows he's not allowed to touch anything on the tree... we moved Jim's nut before there were two sad Robison boys.
Over Christmas in Lethbridge, we got home from playing games with one of my sisters on the 23 to a dog bleeding from his penis.  Now to caviate that I should say that Scott has said that I exaggerate when I speek of this so we have determined that it is like a large paper-cut type bleed.  Not a lot of blood but continuous.  We took him to the vet the next morning and $300 later found out that he had a Urinary Track Infection and were given antibiotics and sent on our way.
This past weekend, we went out shopping and left Huck in the house.  When we got home, a chair had been left out from the table... not mentioning who ;)... and he had eaten an entire box of chocolates.  We knew that was bad and he was a little shaky but other than that, seemed ok so we didn't do anything... Until 10 pm- 10 hours after he ingested the chocolate and he was high as a kite and spinning like a top.  He was so crazy that he would bring me a toy, I would throw it and he would already be looking for something else to play with because his attention span was about 10 seconds.  He couldn't figure out what was wrong and kept trying to be on on of us but at the same time was too wired to stay for longer than 10 seconds.  Scott looked up chocolates and dogs and realized that he had ingested a toxic amount and could die... but we were supposed to have made him throw up right away and we didn't so it was kind of a wait and see game.  All the sites said that what the dogs seem to die of is dehydration and over heating so we gave him Gatorade as he is not fond of drinking water and a lot of cold soup broth.  It was a long night for Huck and I as he was continually sick, losing the hydration that we had given him only minutes before.  Scott slept but his sleep was not the best either and he was waking up a lot to ask about Huck.  Finally around 4pm, Huck fell asleep beside me in the bed with only a sheet to cover us and the fan on.  Probably the first night in a while that I felt cold... and we have the fan on every night. lol
Well, he made it through... He was pretty tired the next day- he and I had around three hours of sleep total so I could see why... But he was ok.
Moral of the stories- Huck needs some loving, if we are gone for short periods of time, we need to put him in his kennel, chocolate is not needed in our house- neither of us really care for it, and we need to push in the chairs at the table Before we leave the house.

1 comment:

  1. Crazy!! Huck is going to keep you going like an ADHD kid would, so perhaps it means you will get a calm, quiet little baby instead!!
    Here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete