Ok, what better way to celebrate a change than with pictures!! I don't have much to say yet about being in the third trimester with only 12-13 weeks to go... yet.... So, instead, I'll give an update on the baby's room!
I have been slowly collecting items and creating items for her room and here they are:
A bird cage purchased at Michaels for 20% of the original cost, less than $5 I think.
A lamp stand purchased at a estate sale for $1-2... I bartered so it was $2 but I ended up saving some cash and don't want to do all the math to see what it actually cost me.
Small frames that I already had and spray painted yellow. Notice the bird from the cage above in the middle of those frames. It took the most time to spray paint- probably because it was glittery and I should have taken that off first, but oh well.
Frames that we already had, being painted blue.
The crib, set up. After this picture, I noticed that the mattress was way too high and moved it down. Also, the rocker was just too close so it was also moved. Small spaces are unique to work with.
After the changes.
Four of five balls to be made for a mobile type look. Don't know what I think of the blue and yellow- too much yellow- but I can change that.
Close up of two of the balls. On the left one made from cupcake holders and pins. On the right fabric rosettes and hot glue. I have a lot of cream ribbon that I will be hanging all of the balls from once I finish the last one- yellow felt and possibly pearl bobby-pins from my wedding hair that I have never worn since. Again, using hot glue. The pink and blue ones are tissue paper.
Now I don't know if I should be hanging those balls above the crib, and semi in front of the photos or in the corner where the rocker used to be.
Too bad we don't own the house, because the boarder would be coming down. :) Little fairies and flowers don't really fit with the Alice in Wonderland theme... well the flowers may but not the fairies.
I want to take off these curtains (which are ours) and add a valance from the fabric that I have for the room. I have blinds on this window already.
I am also making a crib skirt, sheets and possibly change pad covers. No bumper pads for this little one after all of the hype about suffocation from ANYTHING in the crib... the things in there now will move when she comes- nursing pillow will be in use and the stuffies will find a permanent home elsewhere. The basinet will also be moving, into our room.
The art for the wall above the crib.
Old school Alice in Wonderland with the poem Lewis Carroll wrote at the end of Through the Looking Glass. I want to put it on a page that looks similar to the three fabric pictures in the other frames and gives it a little pop.
The yellow frames will have photos of baby girl, when she arrives. And I love the old mirror in the middle. I didn't have to antique it at all- I've had it around for so long that it just looks that way on it's own.
This is opposite the crib. A shelf for books because we love reading, the rabbit from Chapters to make it feel more Alice in Wonderland-ish, the bird in the birdcage- now yellow, and a frosted lamp that I have had for a while.
The canvas was given to me by my mother-in-law quite and few years ago when we found it at Home Depot or something like that.
I don't know what I want to do with the lamp stand. Do you see the difference between this pic and the last? Lamp stand sans candle. Cast your vote for what I should do with the lamp stand (And the "mobile").
The little circular thing on the bookshelf is an anklet that was given to Scott by a guy who owned a store that sells these. They are those amber beads that are said to be calming for babies and Scott was sceptical so the guy gave him one for free "to try". I guess there are oils on the amber that sink into your skin and are calming for three to four months until the oils have been all soaked in at which point in time you need a new one. Parents use these for teething mostly but they are said to be calming for more than just teething because obviously teething isn't the only hard thing for babies. The guy told us that you aren't supposed to bath with them as the oils will leave more quickly that way... We'll see what Scott thinks (And me too) when she comes.
Again, the problem of space. The closet doors made the room seem small.
I put the dresser with a change pad in the closet but it seemed too close to the crib and there was nothing we could do to change how tight it looked... and then...
No Closet Doors!
And it looks so much more open and spacious... well not so tight at least.
The corner that the rocker was moved into. The bookshelf is to the left.
The frame above is another estate find for around $10. The picture is cross stitched and I thought I was going to change it out, but I like how it fits with the look of the room. The only thing that doesn't fit...The colour of the rocker... Don't know what I'll do about that because it looks like recovering would be a bigger project than it is worth. Maybe a slip cover type thing out of the fabric that I purchased for the room.
The fabric. I also have the middle yellow in blue. I am thinking of doing the crib skirt in the flowered yellow on the left and the pink of the same with three layers of ruffles. Similar to this one from pinterest. There will still be enough of the yellow flower to do a sheet. I will also make a sheet out of each of the other yellows and the blue unless I can figure out a slip cover for the rocker- which I'd do in the blue I think.
If you want to know where I got a lot of my ideas. They are all on my pinterest board for the baby's room.
If you want to know where I got a lot of my ideas. They are all on my pinterest board for the baby's room.
NEwho... let me know what you think.
Any ideas or suggestions are welcome, especially for where to hang the balls and what to do with the lamp stand- leave it by itself or put something on top of it and if so what?
Any ideas or suggestions are welcome, especially for where to hang the balls and what to do with the lamp stand- leave it by itself or put something on top of it and if so what?












Maybe you could just tuck and pin fabric around your chair cushions--such cute fabric! I think the lamp would wok great as a lamp-- it shouldn't be too hard to wire it-- my kids made lamps in Gr. 8 shop. It's nice to have a smaller, softer light in the room. Then you could make a matching lampshade! So fun to be planning! Good luck! Love you!
ReplyDeletelove the crib skirt!! I don't really like the candle on the stand...maybe a bigger candle? Maybe a small lampshade?
ReplyDeleteI do like the idea of putting blue on the rocking chair- would it be a big job to recover? It would be neutral enough to fit anywhere then.
Have you asked your landlord if they would be okay with the wallpaper border coming down? They might go for free labor! Just depends if you would have to paint it afterwards or if it could just come down and leave the room plain. Or maybe find a cute border to replace it with...that landlord would agree upon!
looking good! so very exciting to be doing something to prepare!!
I LOVE the colours of the frames, I love the adorable lamp stand, and I especially love the fabric! What a great idea to remove the closet doors!! I think you shouldnt use a candle on the stand. Maybe try and find a shade to fit on top? Pretend its a lamp? hah. Happy Decorating!
ReplyDelete