S&M can also stand for Scott and Michelle or... whatever else your imagination comes up with ;)
Wednesday, February 1, 2012
Happy Birthday, Dad!
I wanted to share this today because today is my dad's birthday. There isn't much you can ever get your parents- they always seem to have everything they need and anything that could really "help" would be more than we could afford... e.g. a trip to Arizona. lol
So as I thought about what I could do for my dad, I thought that I could write a post about him and have been working on this to put up for his birthday.
I know that not everyone has a father with the same attributes as I do and vise versa so this post isn't meant to offend those who don't have these things but show my dad some of the things that I loved about him.
Dad,
There is a great part of lds.org that consists of videos that are so awesome to watch. This one about a father's touched me and I thought I should put it up here. You are like this father, who worked to provide for his children. I am grateful that you took the time, not only during the school year but the summer as well, to go to work and provide for your family. I also appreciated that your work was where I went to school and that I knew I could talk to you if I needed something.
Another aspect of having you in the school was the reputation it gave. I was not popular but I always knew that I was Mr.Thompson's daughter and if I did something that others thought you wouldn't like, I knew you would hear about it.
One of the other things that you taught me was the importance of an education. I am grateful for that and do not think that I would have a bachelors or graduate degree or even be thinking of a doctorate (in the future), if it weren't for your strong desire to see us have a post secondary education.
President Hinckley said, “The Lord wants you to educate your minds and hands, whatever your chosen field. Whether it be repairing refrigerators, or the work of a skilled surgeon, you must train yourselves. Seek for the best schooling available. Become a workman of integrity in the world that lies ahead of you”
I am also grateful for the spiritual knowledge that you lead us to. I am grateful for the spiritual conversations we have had and continue to have and I am grateful that there are times when I am able to contribute to spiritual conversations with you. You have really worked hard "to fan the flame of [my/our] spiritual core already aglow with the fire of [my/our] premortal faith".
Boyd K Packer talked of the power of the priesthood that men in the church have the privilege of holding. Dad I remember that, while we were growing up, you were always ready to put on your Sunday clothes and give us a priesthood blessing. This was a great strength in my life and I appreciated the blessings that I received and the strength it was to have a priesthood holder in my home as I grew up.
"You have the power of the priesthood directly from the Lord to protect your home. There will be times when all that stands as a shield between your family and the adversary's mischief will be that power. You will receive direction from the Lord by way of the gift of the Holy Ghost."
Dad, I am also so grateful that you take the time to answer the phone and listen to things I have to say and to even make that call to keep the connection open. I know that being on the phone isn't as fun for you as it is for mom but I appreciate that you take the time to show me that I am important.
I also truly enjoyed the visits that we have had recently, and although we can't come to your house as much as we may like to (with Ashur being allergic to dogs), I have really enjoyed that you have taken the time to come down and see us. It was nice to see you over the Christmas holiday's and I was so surprised that you guys were able to fit a full bookshelf in that van with all three of the kids still in the back. It was a good visit and I am glad that you took that time to see us.
I also enjoyed the times that we were able to go on family vacation. I know that it didn't happen a lot but I do like the times that it did. And I am sure we were not angels the whole way but I really liked the thought and effort that went into planning the trip down to Utah and all of the fun places we stopped at on the way. And the other trip out to Toronto, where I got to drive, all hopped up on pain meds from having my wisdom teeth removed. lol There are good memories from each of those trips!
I am grateful for your love of books and the time you took to read to us "from the best books" and the love of reading that this gave me. I don't know what I would have done at night when I couldn't sleep if I didn't have books to lull me back to sleep. I have added some of the same books that you used to read to us, to my collection to read to my children someday hopefully.
I am grateful that, although it was a struggle most times, you had us read family scriptures and have Family Home Evening once a week.
You also have a great relationship with your wife (mom), and it gave me ideas for what I want to find in a husband when I grew up.
There are so many other qualities that you have as well that I am grateful for and that make you my dad; your humour, working out with you, Sunday dinner cooking, baking with you, making strawberry daiquiris (virgin of course), singing and listening to you sing while mom played the piano at night when we were in bed, or listening to you sing one of the kids to bed, ice cream runs.
I love you, dad, and I am so grateful that the Lord let me come to this family and get to be part of your life. I hope you have an amazing day with so much family around and I hope that your year is also fantastic.
Love you a ton
Michelle
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment