So, I will have to update later with pictures for the weekend, needless to say it was great.
But Yesterday was amazing in so many ways that I couldn't wait to post about it.
We woke up early so that we could get to the Jordan River temple and do some sealings. We were with a group of older couples and it was great! I wish I could have spent more time with these couples, they were so sweet and kind. One of the things the officiator said made it sound like some of these couples have been coming once a week since the Jordan River temple opened in 1981. WOW!
On another note, I wish that there was a book about the history of all the older temples and some of the unique things about each.
Then we left to Manti, which is a twisty windy path through the Utah "mountains" on several old roads- If we didn't have the GPS, I don't think we would have been able to do this.
On the way there, we drove through a few towns... One of which Scott was going 55Miles in a 35 mile max. I said something about watching out and after a little bit of a delay Scott said "Like that cop that is turning around to pull me over?"
So we got caught going 20 miles over the speed limit! I can't imagine how much that would cost at the time because I know that 20 Km over in Alberta is $140. I had also heard a friend say that when he got pulled over, the cop made him drive to the cop shop and pay right then. Therefore, I was waiting for a gong show... Scott, on the other hand, had been pulled over before when in the states and let go because, in his opinion, the cops feel like they have no way of making a Canadian pay. Scott didn't think he would get a ticket at all.
Before the cop got to the window, Scott told me to not talk back because cops in the states are really hard core... I guess he has never been pulled over with me driving before- all I do is cry. lol
So when the cop came to the car, he wouldn't stand right beside the window and seemed a little nervous (later Scott said that may be because they are really worried about having a gun pulled on them). He took Scott's licence and when back to his car. He came back a few minutes later and gave Scott back his car and told him this was a warning and to watch his speed as he was in town and going 19 Miles over.
We drove the rest of the way to Manti without incident and Scott slowed his speed. (To his credit, when he noticed that the speed was decreasing from highway [75] to in town, he started coasting and by the time he got pulled over had slowed down 20 miles already) In Manti, we were trying to take some pictures with the timer on the camera and a guy came up and offered to take the picture for us. As has happened over and over, the fact that we were from Canada came up... and like a usual person from the states he asked us if we'd been around a place... Usually we say no... this time he asked if we'd ever been to Lac La Biche... Hahaha I replied that I lived very close to this as a child. (We'd lived in Heart Lake, but no one in ALberta knows where that is so I wasn't going to tell this guy). He continues talking about the amazing fishing and how he'd go up to Heart Lake to get the best fish around. I was so shocked... I told him that was where I had lived and he asked a few things that I didn't know about- I was only in Kg and don't remember much... unless he knew the dog that we kind of adopted called Yogi-I remember that dog. lol (I don't even remember my teacher's or friends' names).
Such a small world!!
I have to say that of all of the temples I have been in, now five, Manti is my favourite. It is BEAUTIFUL!! I am going to try and convince my siblings to get married in it. There are two of the tallest circular staircases in the world (only once of four built this way) in this temple and at the top of each are places for people to get married!! I want to go up there... HINT HINT, Rachel!!
I wish I lived in this area and could go to that temple all the time.
I saw my first Joshua tree and some palm trees that aren't in the West Ed mall.
Then we stopped as St.George and heard some of the history about the temple there- which will take an entire post on another day.
By the time we got into Vegas it was dark but I am excited to see the dessert!! I didn't know this but Nevada doesn't have daylight savings so they are an hour behind us in time at the moment but will be the same as us next time we change our clocks.
We are really enjoying the trip and I am so glad that we chose to do the temple trip- only disappointed that St. George was closed for cleanings.
No comments:
Post a Comment