Saturday, January 22, 2011

Michelle's Health

So I have a clean bill of health and I am thinking of getting a new doctor. Here's the story or update from the last time I talked about the "head thing."
So, after that weird "head thing," the ER doctor said to go home and talk to my family doctor(which I didn't have) and so I went and got one. The first time I saw this doctor, he decided to send me in for an MRI and asked me to set up a second appointment without waiting until after the MRI. When I went into the second appointment, he didn't remember me and asked me why I was here to see him. I explained that he'd asked me to come in... he asked about the MRI which wasn't for another two days. Then he asked if there was anything else I wanted to talk about... So, I asked for an allergy test, which was set up. Last Sunday, I had my MRI and on Wednesday, I got three calls within an hour from the doctor's office and the MRI clinic, the MRI clinic was asking me to come in for another MRI for my neck and an angiogram and to call back as soon as I could, The doctor wanted me to come in as soon as I could. I got a doctor's appointment for Friday and called the MRi clinic back but they were closed. I had to wait to call them until Thursday and before that I looked up what an angiogram is...
An angiogram is when the doctor's put a scope and dye into the heart to check out the valves in it. What!?! When did this get from my head to my heart and why isn't anyone telling me what the heck is going on! It was really stressful to think about.
The next day the MRI clinic told me that there are different types of angiograms and what they would be doing would be just a different type of picture than an MRI and I wouldn't even notice the difference: no scope, no dye. YAY! But still no reasoning behind why I was getting more tests.
So, onto Friday... I go into the doctor's office and sat for close to 30 min waiting for him to tell me that he forgot to write down anything about our last appointment. So after asking me quite a lot of specific questions regarding the the "head thing" that is now hard to recall specifically because it was from early December. I wondered why he hadn't asked me these in our first appointment, but se la vie.
He also asked me to request my previous records from my doctor in Lethbridge and while filling out the form I realized that there would be a fee for doing this. I didn't see the reasoning behind this, especially when I said that the episode happened after that and I hadn't done anything big with my doctor from Lethbridge. (The form had more than one spelling mistake in it)
I finally asked what the MRI results were and he hadn't even requested them, let alone seen them.... So who ordered the extra MRI and angiogram?!
So, after waiting again while listening to him eat his lunch in the other room, we got the results... Other than a little congested-ness in my nasal cavity, I had a clean bill of health. So, what about the other MRI and such...
So, I asked and he said he didn't order it, saying that he hadn't gotten the results so why would he have ordered it. I just told him I was confused and was wondering what was going on then. He got pretty defensive, but hey, look at it from the patient's point of view- this is scaring me and now there is nothing wrong and no reason for another test?!? He told me I should call the MRI clinic and ask them why they called me. I was proud of myself to go out of my comfort zone at this point and ask him if he would call. He said his secretary could. After an lot of calling back and forth with the secretary and the MRI clinic and after we watched the doctor leave the clinic (just after lunch), the secretary told us the MRI clinic would call me back directly.
When I finally talked to the MRI clinic, it sounds like the doctor's office sent the same form twice. Because it was sent a second time, the MRI clinic assumed the doctor wanted more information and so they added the other tests. They cancelled them for me saying that if the doctor didn't want the other tests then I didn't need to get them.
So, after all of that, I do not want to see that doctor again... To add to the craziness of the office, they had spelt my name wrong- Robinson instead of Robison and I had to show them my AHN again to prove that I was who I said I was and it was spelt the way I said... They also put an allergy alert on my chart but didn't have all my allergies on it.
So, long story, short- I am healthy!! And looking for a new doctor in Calgary, which I know is hard to come by, but totally worth it!
I should add that as well as being healthy, school has been so much better this semester. It might not be that far in but both Scott and I have felt that things have been slower and better because of that. We are looking into a new exercise routine now and I am pretty excited!!

I know some of you were praying for me and thinking of me during this craziness, so thanks all for your thoughts and prayers. I am grateful for the people at practicum who have definitely given me help more than once. I am grateful for my family and I am especially grateful for Scott to talk me through the stressed times and to just be there to listen when I needed it. I am appreciative that it wasn't as bad as it could have been and I know that isn't the case for some people. If you are going through a hard spot, remember that the Lord is watching over you and people are praying for you. I know the Lord was watching out for me and I have so much gratitude for that!!

1 comment:

  1. What craziness!! no wonder he was accepting new patients, all of his old ones probably walked out! ha ha
    I'm super glad everything is fine though...and hopefully you'll find a good doctor soon!
    Love you

    ReplyDelete