Saturday, January 29, 2011

Dancing!!

So, after Christmas Scott and I were looking into intramural classes for him and a yoga class for me as presents to each other. As we were looking into different things, nothing seemed to work for Scott. He was going to sign up for a indoor soccer thing with a friend from high school but they were told they could only go if they had a girl. I said I'd play with them but then they'd have to pick an easier league than they wanted...Cause lets be honest, I am weak sauce when it comes to soccer.
Scott texted me one day and asked if I wanted to take some dance classes. Of course I did, but I didn't think that was really his thing. He signed us up and we have been going for the last three weeks!! I was so excited! For those of you who know Scott, this may be surprising as it has always seemed like something out of his regular area of expertise.
We are having a great time!
I am learning to follow and he is learning to lead and we are awesome together! The first week, we learned the basic steps for the two-step and... (I'm sure this will be a great surprise of many cowboys out there...) learned that the two-step is a fluid dance. The back and forth twangy-ness that you may see in some Alberta dance locations is not the correct execution of this dance! ;)
The week before last we learned the inside spin for the girls and the double-inside spin.
This week we learned how to turn the double-inside spin into a half spin wrap thing. (Oops, our dance instructor told us the name but I don't remember it)
We were taught how to get into the wrap but were going to learn how to get out of it next week. Scott was so brilliant that he saw the way that the instructor got out of the wrap and started implementing it as we waited for others to figure out how to do the wrap or remember the spins from last week.
What I am saying is that We Are Awesome! Scott has really picked this up fast! I figured that it would be easier for me in some ways because I participated in swing dancing for close to five years in Edmonton, but it has been great to see how well the two of us are doing!!
We are both still working on a few things that are harder for us. I have a big problem with my posture. The instructor asked Scott what I did for a living the first day and Scott replied that I was a Social Worker. Our instructor said that explained it... So, I guess I show stress in my shoulders! ;) I also need to learn how to spot because whenever I try to spot I get dizzier than I am without spotting: Definitely not the right way to spot! :D
Overall the classes have been fun and it has been great to see how well we have been able to pick up on this and how much fun we are having.
I am so glad that Scott decided to go out of his comfort zone and do this with me. It has been great fun and I look forward to Thursday nights!!

3 comments:

  1. Once mom signed up for a dancing class and Dad could never go so she took Dave as her partner and Jim and I were partners. We went to a Lethbridge junior high gymnasium but I have no idea what Scott did when we were taking lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Fun! Enjoy it! Once Dave and I started dating, he told me he hated dancing and we didn't go back to a YSA dance after that...and he doesn't dance with me at any events...(in fact he avoids them like a plague...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! Your detailed explanation brought back memories. Joel & I fell in love during our dance classes. (sigh) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete