Thursday, July 29, 2010

Work

WoW!
Work this summer has been nothing like I thought it would.
I am basically working with a group of kids who don't speak English, without enough supplies or direction, while following lesson plans that I had to make before being told how old the kids were. But through that all, I have truly enjoyed working with the kids and meeting a few new people in Calgary.
The kids that I worked with the first time were grades 4 & 5 and the lesson plans went quite well other than two kids that didn't know ANY English. There were 16 of them and I had 20 bus students. We went to the zoo the last day and it was a very exhausting day.
This group that I am with time is K & 1 and I only have one that reads and writes English so lesson plans are out the window! :) I have 7 students and only 2 bus students.
With the first group, I was able to bike to the bus stop which was apx. 4Km away but this bus stop is 30Km away from my house, so I haven't attempted it.
The night after going to the zoo with the first group I went to bed at 6:30/7pm and didn't wake up until 3am and then went back to bed until 7... Scott did it too! Wow, we needed sleep I guess.
Only one week left of work, but my sister will be here and that'll be fun!! After that, getting ready for England! Quite excited!!
Here are two pic's from the zoo. This was my group at the zoo- only a third of my students.
Here is the entire group of my students plus the other four leaders students as well. They are hard to see but there are over 60 kids on those dinosaurs.

Now, I am sure that some of you have been wondering what happened to Scott's foot.
Last Saturday, we went to a family reunion for my side of the family all day. At one point in time, Scott decided to go play beach volleyball with some of my cousins. I waited maybe 10 min and was on my way over to play but Scott was already back. He showed me the bottom of his foot which looked pretty beat up- to me it looked like meat- but it wasn't bleeding...
He said he'd felt like he had a blister on the bottom of his foot and then it had ripped open- all in the 10-15 min he was playing! It took up a large part of the top of his foot and I was pretty worried about it. We went to the walk-in clinic where the doctor said it was the weirdest thing he'd seen that day. It took him a while to pick out all the sand and cut off the dead skin but the good thing was that it was only skin, the cut hadn't gotten below the many layers of skin. He gave us antibiotics for Scott's foot and let us go.

Here is the after doctor pic- too bad there is no before the doctor pic- it looked so much worse! ;)
It is looking way better now but I have no pic.


No comments:

Post a Comment