The day prior to Maudie's birthday, I had gone into the emerg at SCHC because I had some sharp, inconsistent, all-over abdominal pain but after a few tests had been told that it was probably just period cramps and to go home and that they would send me for an out patient ultrasound the next day (which I scheduled at the end of my work day so I could work and go and then get back to family fun birthday time with Maudie). I had been having this pain since her birthday party and it kept getting worse. They did the regular appendix check- push in the spot of that organ and if it first more when they release, then it's probably the appendix. Also, often people show signs that they are in a great deal of pain- sweating, not standing straight, etc. And yes, my pain was intense-going-to-die-soon, but it wasn't constant so some of the time the pain level was at a 4 and sometimes it was at an 8 or 9. (I figured having a baby must be more pain than what I was feeling at the time)
At the ultrasound, I was super blessed that the ultrasound tech asked me a few questions and had an appendectomy with irregular pain... Because she actually checked that area (the ultrasound was supposed to be on my pelvis not abdomen) and I was told to go straight to the South Health Campus to have them do a CT on my appendix. It being Maudie's birthday, I picked her up from the day home and dropped her off with a hug and kiss at home with her Dadee. I assumed I would waste my night, be told they didn't see anything wrong and then be sent home that night. Boy, was I wrong....
My pain was not usual to what most appendectomy patience experience so they missed it. While waiting for the CT and then the surgery, I met two other women who were experiencing appendix pain- they were sweaty and sore and given lots of drugs. I felt like I was having a baby- no real pain and then intense-breath-through-it-going-to-die-pain and then nothing, so I kept thinking they would send me home and tell me I was just a silly, grieving mother who had lost a baby six months ago. Nope! That night at 1 am, I had my appendix removed.
The before, just waiting. Scott was with me for part of the time but I didn't upload that picture.
When I woke up from the surgery- I was trying to get a picture of the time on the monitor- It was almost 4 am. (The two girls before me were in and out in less than an hour)
After the surgery, I found out my appendix had burst (so that was why my surgery was so long) and I had an infection and had to stay in the hospital longer than expected. Then I had a reaction to the Percocet and they had me on oxygen for quite a few hours after that, until it left my system. We were blessed to have Scott's parents in town that day (The day after her birthday) and they took her down to Lethbridge to spend the Easter weekend with her cousins.
After I was breathing on my own again, I got transferred to the short-stay unit.
We always seem to bring Bananagrams to the hospital- our go-to Michelle's-in-the-hospital game.
(The pole is unattached!! and the IV was out! happy day for me!! I HATE those things)
I finally got out of the hospital on the Saturday of Easter weekend and after stopping to pick up the medication they prescribed me, we headed home....
Only to find that Huckleberry had gotten into a cupboard in the kitchen, opened up the lazy-susan and taken out a one liter container of chocolate chips and proceeded to eat the entire thing. He was three times his size and not doing well, so back out we went to the vet to get his stomach pumped and leave him there overnight.
Easter Monday, we were finally all back together as a family, which was super.
And it didn't stop there. I went to see my surgeon five weeks after surgery and he confirmed what my sister-in-law had warned me- I had a hernia under one of the scars from the laproscopic surgery and I would have to go back in for surgery....
Only to find that Huckleberry had gotten into a cupboard in the kitchen, opened up the lazy-susan and taken out a one liter container of chocolate chips and proceeded to eat the entire thing. He was three times his size and not doing well, so back out we went to the vet to get his stomach pumped and leave him there overnight.
Easter Monday, we were finally all back together as a family, which was super.
And it didn't stop there. I went to see my surgeon five weeks after surgery and he confirmed what my sister-in-law had warned me- I had a hernia under one of the scars from the laproscopic surgery and I would have to go back in for surgery....
SERIOUSLY!!!!
So, I cried, felt sorry for myself, realized that this will set our have-a-baby-goal back to at the earliest starting to try again in September, cried some more, and then set a date for early July to get the surgery done. Scott will be done work and I can have him home for the two weeks of recovery, which I hear sucks. Yay!
I honestly keep wondering when this will all end. When life will start feeling normal again and why we are going through these trials, so many all within the last year. I keep waiting for September because, honestly, how can it be more than a year long!?
But at the same time, I know that I can do hard things with the Lord- WE can do hard things with the Lord. And if He has deemed that this is what we need to deal with right now, then we can do it and will do it. And I am grateful that this is giving me a testimony of following the Will of the Lord without the understanding to back it up- I truly don't understand why this is all happening and why we keep going through these trials but I know that I can trust in the Lord when He said:
"know thou, my [daughter], that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. The Son of Man hath descended below them all... Therefore, hold on thy way...Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever."
I am so grateful that He is with me and that we have a Lord who we can count on, always! And although I am dreading another surgery, this will get us closer to our have-another-baby goal, and I think that the break from all the drug will probably be good for my body. So, there's at least one plus. And we get to all be home together for two weeks in the summer- another plus.
You'll probably hear from me again after that but for now, I'm done ranting! haha




No comments:
Post a Comment