Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Capsule Wardrobe

So, I had a friend post a while ago about how she downsized her children's wardrobes to some essential pieces and nothing else.  it made things quicker, gave her more room and she didn't seem to miss the excess clothing.  You can view her story here.  It made me think...but I guess the time wasn't right or what have you... but it has been a year and again I see a post on a blog about downsizing wardrobes or what they called a capsule wardrobe... A capsule wardrobe is a smaller wardrobe that is interchangeable with essential pieces that you will wear....

I got to thinking again...

I hate waking up in the morning during the week... Why? You ask... I AM a morning person.  I love to get up early and get things done so that I have more time in the afternoon/evening to do the fun things.  I do not always sleep well, but even then, that isn't what it is about.

The days that I can get up early with no problem?  These are the days I have picked my outfit the night before.  When my alarm goes off in the morning, the first thought I have is not "I wish I had more sleep."  But instead "I wonder what I will wear."

I can lay in bed until my alarm to wake M goes off (30 min later) just trying to figure out what to wear that day.

Weekends are different because I slip on something comfy and get to the house work.  I get dressed later when the house work is done and I never worry about waking up those mornings. (Although sometimes I do sleep in until almost 8!)

Maybe this is the answer for me... I often look at my closet and am overwhelmed by the choices and options and the fact that I don't like any of them. (which isn't true- I have a lot of clothes I really like but that is the feeling in the morning)

When I look in M's closet, things are less overwhelming but starting to get overgrown as well.  There are shirts I just took out yesterday that fit her in the winter and they are still hanging on hangers, not being used... and really not fitting her anyways.

Lately, when I have been shopping, I only purchase things that I will REALLY wear and not the $5 on sale shirt that I could get.  It meant that I did spend a bit of money on my last pair of pants, but I knew what I wanted and was not going to settle for something that was less (of what I wanted, not $) because I knew I wouldn't wear it.  And they were bought to replace ones that I had that had ripped the knee so I felt that it would be ok.

So, my next goal, this week and next, if I can get it done in that amount of time, is to go through my closet and get rid of some things.  For me, the only way I could do this is by telling myself that I wouldn't get rid of everything I don't wear- just put some in a box and see if I miss it in my wardrobe.

Then, the next step will be M's closet.  it won't be as hard because a lot of the stuff that is in there that she doesn't wear is too small for her and I just need to put it in a box.

I usually have a box in the spare room and when I have her try on something and I notice that it doesn't fit, it comes off and goes right into the box.  So, there won't be two years of buildup in her closet.  And I notice that she gravitates to certain clothing and I do the same for her, so it will be much easier a task than my closet.

I should also add the caveat that I doubt I will cut back to 37 pieces like unfancy here, but to cut my wardrobe back to what I will wear and like to wear will help me like my outfits more and like waking up again.

Wish me luck!  Have any of you tried this and found it useful?  I would be excited to have some extra space in my closet for more essential items... Like the dog kennel that is an eye sore in my bedroom but would fit in the closet... if there was room because of less clothing.



No comments:

Post a Comment