Saturday, February 1, 2014

Life and death and gratitude

"Mourning is one of the deepest expressions of pure love. It is a natural response in complete accord with divine commandment: “Thou shalt live together in love, insomuch that thou shalt weep for the loss of them that die.” (D&C 42:45.)"
This is a great quote from a Talk by Elder Nelson called "Doors of Death".  He also said, "we can’t fully appreciate joyful reunions later without tearful separations now. The only way to take sorrow out of death is to take love out of life."
My Uncle passed away last night after a battle with cancer.  When we experience a death in our lives, it causes us to ponder death and life after death and to look at family.  We wouldn't mourn for those who leave if we didn't love them.  Even the Savior, who knew completely about the resurrection, mourned when His friend Lazarus died, even while knowing that in a few short moments, He would raise Lazarus from the dead.  For us, the "few short moments" before we see our loved ones will be longer in our eyes but we will still see them and live with them again.
How grateful I am to know this and to have this testimony.  It brings me peace to know my uncle is being reunited with his daughter and nieces and nephews that have past as youth and children.  "Our limited perspective would be enlarged if we could witness the reunion on the other side of the veil, when doors of death open to those returning home."
For us this is an end but for him it is a beginning and a time for him to continue to progress and assist others in another place and for that I can also be grateful.  "We need not look upon death as an enemy. With full understanding and preparation, faith supplants fear. Hope displaces despair."

And hopefully we can say as Paul when it is our time: “The time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.” (2 Tim. 4:6–7.)
I am grateful for my uncle and I am grateful for the knowledge of the afterlife that I have and I am grateful for these experiences of trial which bring me peace and strengthen my testimony.
My prayers and thoughts are with my aunt and cousins and I hope they are feeling the peace and love of the Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment