Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Girls Camp

So, after a weekend with my family, we bought more stuff for girls camp on Monday and made sure that we would have mattresses and everything we needed.  On Sunday night, we had realized that we couldn't bring Huckles with us to camp- if it was just the two of us we always do- so we called Scott's family and his brother and sister-in-law offered to take Huckles for the week.  Monday afternoon, they called and asked if we wanted to go boating.  July 2 is Jim's birthday and we wanted to hang out with them but they had been in southern Alberta.
We headed down to Little Bow Provincial Park, got there and launched the boat just before 5pm.  Jen, Scott's sister-in-law was learning to drive the boat and so it was a lot of fun- she did a great job.
After a bit, Scott took over and the kids got out on the little tube/wakeboard.  First it was Gage and Ava, then Gage and Addi, then Addi and Ava.  When it was just the two four-year-old girls, it was Addi's first time being in the back and she tried to see around Ava the whole time.  This was causing the wakeboard to list to one side.  Jen kept calling to her to sit straight and we got Jim or Scott (whoever was driving) to slow down.  All of a sudden, the tube/wakeboard slowly tipped over into the water with the girls.  They both screamed and Jen dove in after them.  She lost her watch and sunglasses in the process.  (We found out after that she thought Addi was under the tube- way to be a fast acting mom!)  Jim soon followed because he knew Jen couldn't help both girls back to the boat. I sat on the boat holding kids until they got back.  Ava stopped screaming almost immediately as she realized her life jacket kept her afloat but Addi continued to scream until we got a towel around her.  She said she was cold and that was why she was screaming.
Once everyone was back in, it was time for Jim to go out and wake surf for a while.  Then I took a turn.  Jen had looked on YouTube and found tips for beginners when it comes to wake surfing and I got up the second time I tried- which is way better than the last two previous years I have tried this.  I was able to get up almost every time but I haven't yet gotten into the right place behind the boat or stood up fully yet.  After analyzing what I did, I have decided that I need the rope to be shorter and I need to work on balancing more.  It was a lot of fun.
We got back to land after 8, which is a perfect amount of time to be in the boat for me.  We had some dinner of hot dogs and hamburgers and fruit and veggies.  While we were out in the boat, grandma and grandpa had walked around the campsite with Huck.  Grandpa has been told by his doctors that he isn't allowed on the boat until halfway through August because of his heart surgery.  At least, he will still be able to have some fun at Flat Head later this summer.
After that, Jim and Jen left with their kids and Huckles and we went home to pack for the next morning.
Monday morning, we only did half of our workout because we didn't have the time and left to the church. To get there after 7am, which was when the leaders were supposed to meet.  Scott wasn't as worried as I was about our five minutes late as he was banking on some Mormon-standard-time (For those of you who don't know LDS very well, we are supposedly always running behind).  He was right and there were only two other leaders there until after 7:30am when the girls started to arrive.  After packing the trailer in the rain, we headed out. 
We drove our car with two of the miamaids (13-14 year old girls) with us down to Waterton.  Scott said we should stop for candy on the way and I love candy so we stopped in a rainy Clairshom to grab some.  On the way out of the store, Scott was being silly and jumped onto a cement curb that was painted.  Because of the paint and the rain it was slippery and he fell off, slipping and twisting his ankle and scrapping his knee.  As we got in the car he told me he thought it was sprained and was worried that he may puke.  I went back in to find a tensor bandage and the store clerks gave me some bandaging tape- I think they were worried that we would sue or something.  I also grabbed some ice.  We then stopped in Fort McLeod to get some ankle braces at my Uncle Ken's pharmacy where my cousin was working and we were again on our way.
We got to the camp beating most of the vehicles even with the stops and only going the speed limit, but there was a wind warning in effect and so I think the trailers were traveling slower and trying to be cautious.
We set up camp and the girls played games and we set up dinner.  There was a lot going on at camp, so I wont bore you with all the details, but it was a blast.  There were several hikes, which Scott was able to do without a lot of problem, there was great cooking- if only girls camp was this easy when I was a girl- plumbing, electricity, a chef, bunks, showers, etc. We also got to do some horseback riding, but I was silly and wore swimming trunks- a few bruises and blisters and a lot of chaffing later, I will remember to wear jeans next time. lol  We took a lot of pictures and had a great time.  The horseback riding took longer than we thought, so by the time we got back to Calgary it was 9pm and we had to run to get Huckles.
When we got to Stathmore, Gage was there with a cast on his arm.  I guess he got a good break but luckily they said that he is young enough that they didn't have to set the bone but that the bone would go back into place as it healed.  We picked up Huckles and asked Jim how he was.  Sounds like he was good, which we are happy about, but he didn't eat hardly any of his food, which I had been worried about when we left.  Scott reminded me that they have a lot of young kids and although he didn't eat hardly any of his food, he probably ate a lot of human food, which looked to be true with how much begging he was doing in the few days following.  So glad that things went well there and that they were able to watch him.  It made things a lot easier not having to worry so much about him.
When we got home, Scott realized that the Lord had been blessing him at camp because his ankle got a lot worse and felt really bad.  I feel bad for him because it is one of those things where we just have to wait it out and it means that we haven't done our workout really all last week.  (We are starting again for Monday the 9th- hopefully)

Here are a few pictures, BUT I haven't asked for permission from the girls as to which pictures they are ok with being up- sometimes girls get worried about these things (Not just teenage ones)- So, the only pictures here are of me and Scott... And Sam because it was such a great tree and such nice water....

 I wanted to put both of these because it is so funny that we did the same thing with our sticks in both pictures and we did not talk about it before hand- that's what marriage does to you, people.

 The great log in the water.  I spent most of my time up at that lake on this log- it was great.  Scott skipped some rocks at least 10 times- NO exaggeration!  It was lots of fun.  None of the girls could do it that good- must be like hula hooping- its a gender thing.
 Horseback riding... I got sore but it was great fun!  Here is Scott on his horse.  Mine was names Bonus because they said they bought a horse and afterwards found out it was pregnant, so the foal was a bonus. :)
 The bell at camp.



Thursday night, we slept at our house and then Friday I was working again.  Friday night it was off to Elizabeth's wedding but that will be another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment