Saturday, January 7, 2012

Jewelry holder

I get the day off on Friday's now (every second Friday and every second Tuesday, as per my request as Scott gets Tuesday's off from school. Yay).  Yesterday we did some of the things that we would normally do on Saturday, like the brakes on the car, brake fluid added to the van, oil change for the car, organized and cleaned the house, and moved some books onto my new bookshelf (belated birthday present from my parents).
This left today to do other things... and what to do?
Be crafty!  This was a project that I have been wanting to do for a while and I am so excited that I finally got it done.

Here is how it came about:
My parents were down in Arizona visiting family and my mom took a bunch of pictures- one of which was a shop that had jewelry hanging in a frame to showcase it.
I loved the picture and the idea!  And so I started to look at the frames that I had sitting around waiting to be used.  I found one that was silver, which for those of you who know my tastes, isn't a usual colour for my picture frames.  I love gold with designs and black.  So, I thought I would probably never use this frame for anything else and my room doesn't have any of my gold frames in it so this frame would be perfect.
I cut the cork-board that I had been using down to size... with Scott's favourite knife, which I didn't know until I was almost done cutting both sides... oops.
Then added it to the frame.  Cork-board is thicker than a picture in glass and so I nailed it on in the corners.
I put pushpins in for my necklaces and then had to think.  I wanted to have all of my jewelry on it but every time I have hung my earrings on a line of string or threat or yarn, the line has broken... BUT Scott had just changed the brakes and utilized some wire in the process to hold back pieces of the brakes.  I went out and got the wire and used it for the two lines for the earrings (and dangly bits for some of my longer necklaces).
It turned out perfect!  now all of my jewelry, including cufflinks (Scott's and mine) are in the same place, won't get tangled, can be seen, and look nice!
I was so excited to see it hanging there that I took off the necklaces and earrings that I was wearing so that they could hang on it, too. ;)


And here are two pictures of Huckleberry with grandma and grandpa over the holidays.


The girls' PJs this year came with eye masks, so I put mine on Huckleberry for a little picture.  He actually didn't mind it like I thought he would and just sat patiently while I took the picture.


This is Huckleberry's favourite thing to do at Grandma and Grandpa's: He is given an empty bottle, he screws off the lid with his mouth and paws, and then takes the cap and throws it under the couch so that he can dig at it.  He never gets them back out (He needs a human to do that for him) but he loves it anyways and will follow you around the house if you have a bottle. lol (The seal beside him was his Christmas present- he took of the scarf and plays with it and has now taken the pom-pom off of the hat and loves to throw it around the house.)

Hope you all enjoyed your holidays and are loving this beautiful weather!  It is amazing out there. :)

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year's! Here's to some more Tuesdays with Scott!! love you

    ReplyDelete