Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Alma 37

In Alma 37, Alma speaks to his son Helaman about the importance of keeping a journal or a record so that we could have the scriptures. Alma knew that it was a commandment and that it was important to keep a record.

4 Behold, it has been prophesied by our fathers, that they should be kept and ahanded down from one generation to another, and be kept and preserved by the hand of the Lord until they should go forth unto every nation, kindred, tongue, and people, that they shall know of the bmysteries contained thereon.
5 And now behold, if they are kept they must retain their brightness; yea, and they will retain their brightness; yea, and also shall all the plates which do contain that which is holy writ.

It was interesting that he talked about this record or journal as being kept bright. The dictionary defines bright as: giving out or reflecting a lot of light, or being full of light, being clear and vibrant, intelligent or cheerful liveliness. When I think of these qualities in my life I wonder if there are ways that I can more fully reflect the light of Christ (being full of His light and have a cheerful liveliness while also gaining intelligence)
6 Now ye may suppose that this is afoolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by bsmall and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.
7 And the Lord God doth work by ameans to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very bsmall means the Lord doth cconfound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls.

Small and simple things... This brought up two different vanes of thought for me.

One; This past General Conference with Pres. Uckdorft's talk sunday morning conference. It can be found here or you can listen to it here. This is an area that I have been struggling in, feeling that the more complicated and full my study/essay schedule is the better I will know what I am trying to learn. But if I go back to the scripture; to retain my brightness and gain intelligence(v5), I need to do the small and simple things (v6).

Two; The small and simple things of the Lord that confound the wise. I have been looking for these signs of the hand of the Lord in my life lately. I know there are many blessings that I receive on a daily bases but I don't think I've been noticing the small and simple things- only the big things.

With both of these paths, I feel that it all comes back to the simplicity. I need to simplify my life and as I do so, I will have the time and capacity to see the small and simple things that the Lord blesses me with all the time and the ways He show His love for me. As I do this, I will be blessed with the light and intelligence and happiness that I desire.

Just a few of my small blessings this week have been; the weather- the colours, smells and breeze with the warm sun, Counselling this week I noticed the help of the Lord, and being able to print with a printer that says it doesn't have ink.

Waking up to study the scriptures and learn about the gospel has been such a blessing lately in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment