2017 was a great year and I have pondered what this year was about and what I learned.
For me, this was a year of healing and growth. It was a year of patience and working on controlling emotions and high stress at work.
It was also a year of new friendships, fun travels in the bus and wonderful times gardening and renovating.
Overall it was a great year.
In February, we updated our main bath, where we learned to wallpaper the ceiling! I am getting confident in my wallpaper skills and it was a ton of fun. We even put some extra money in to get marble floors and granite counter tops. The bath is pretty cozy so it wasn't a huge upgrade.
Scott went on his annual trip to Eugene in May and while on the phone with Maudie was showing him her moves and fell off the couch onto the coffee table head first. It was her first stitches and we were pretty exhausted by the time he came back home. (No the best picture of either of us)
In June, we went to Silverwood amusement park, which was awesome! We took some good friends, Scott's parents and the Bus... And I brought home a puppy, which most of you have probably seen on social media, who we named Camo (Blue Camo).
When we got home, our kitchen had flooded and the flooring was ruined and the basement had water leaking through the ceiling. It was a long process of insurance negotiations until we finally got the claim settled in September and then a fun time of searching for, hiring and waiting for flooring people. Our flooring was "finished" by the floorer's standards finally the day before we left for Christmas holidays so it was quite a long time without a floor in the kitchen and there is still no ceiling in the basement (I say "finished" because we will still be calking some of the corners the flooring company missed). But Scott and I replaced all the plumbing in the main floor which was easier than I anticipated but took some time.
Over the spring and summer I enjoyed working in the garden and even transplanted a tree in the fall. We had a Pussy Willow that I was told was a bush but realized was a tree and wouldn't have room where it had been planted. Hopefully, it continues to grow well next year.
We also lost my Gumpo (my dad's dad) this year, quite suddenly. I was glad that he wasn't in lots of pain for a long time, but I wish that I'd been able to see him before he passed.
We went on a couple's retreat at the end of August thanks to family who watched Maudie and the dogs. We went to a nice little place in Montana where there was really nothing and no one and we got to see wild turkeys, deer and lots of forest fires. It was a nice, relaxing vaca.
Scott got tenure track this year, which is uber exciting and makes Calgary that much more permanent a location for us. It is nice to see that others around him notice how amazing he is. He's being given work that is supervisory already and finding work really rewarding, although I'm pretty sure he has always loved it.
And of course, no summer is complete without a little boating! Here's Maudie and Scott on the tube. She went a few times this year, and although she was pretty anxious at the start, she loved it by the end which was great!
Maudie was disappointed that she couldn't start school this September but also very happy to go back to the day-home/preschool that she has been at for the last few years. They are like an extra set of grandparents to her, which is great as her's don't live in the city.
She started with a new dance company in September, a professional one and it has been fun to watch her and her little friends. She had a real concert at the end of the year and did great at all the dances she had learned. She seems to really like to excel.
Magdalen is also learning to add and subtract and to sound out words and read small words. She finds writing difficult and doesn't do it as often but loves to learn. She asks lots of questions about everything and wants to know how everything happens and why. It is so fun to watch her grow and as always, watch her goofy personality emerge more and more. <3 nbsp="" p="">Here she is a superhero in a costume she made.
3>
Huckleberry has become so much more calm now that we have the new puppy. It is nice to see that he isn't as anxious but we hope to see some more of his spunk come out as he gets more and more used to Camo.
Camo is a dopy little dog. He really struggles to understand, where Huck always seemed to know what we were saying. He is fairly stubborn (he is a doxy!), and he has got a lot of energy. Now that it has gotten cold, he absolutely refuses to go to the bathroom outside and we are finding little presents all over the house. But he's so cute that we have decided he can stay... He'll just need some more training this year. He can sit and lay down if I ask him but doesn't listen to others at this point. He also sleeps in our bed because Scott felt bad that he had to sleep in a kennel while Huck slept with us. Haha.
Maudie loved spending time with family over Christmas and so did Scott and I. It was nice to do it prior to the Christmas rush and prior to the crazy snow. We made it almost to Lethbridge before the snow started and we enjoyed every work free moment with family and friends down there and over New Years. We did see both sides of the family, but I didn't have my camera on me with my side, so no pictures from there. Sorry.
I just wanted to add this because she is such a cutie and has grown soooo much in the last few years. This was her picture with Santa, Christmas 2013 and this year. She was pretty nervous to go sit on his lap by herself but she did it and got a candy. Afterwards she told me that she was scared and brave because she was scared but she did it anyways... AND she was excited that she got a candy cane for her troubles.
I made Christmas cards for the first time ever because we had family photos done, but never made enough and found it difficult to get them out before the end of the year. So, maybe we'll be better next year. Sorry if you didn't get one.
Here's to 2017- we enjoyed so many wonderful memories over this year and hope 2018 is even better.
From the Robison's





No comments:
Post a Comment