Luckily, my daughter is not old enough to be on the blog- so you lucky folks get to see her Christmas present before she does... Well, before she sees the entire project. She has been with me at times while I painted and such, but once it got closer to looking like the kitchen it is, I didn't let her see it.
So, here is my quick post about my LONG project.
First off, I started with a side table with two drawers, which I purchased for $15.
Sadly, this is the only before photo that I have- the back... But this is somewhat better
The front, without the drawers. I sanded the entire thing, just enough so that it would adhere to paint. (This photo has the bowl that will be the sink on top of it.)
The drawers, minus their handles.
After I cut the hole for the sink and painted it coral pink. I cut the hole with a jig saw, which was complex because they are supposed to cut straight lines.
I wanted to make the top portion an oven with the front of the drawer being the outside of the stove but used as a hinged door that swings down.
I also used the jig saw to cut a piece of wood for the oven portion in the top drawer, which is glued in with wood glue and painted black.
Here is the photo of it, done, with the hinged top drawer. I cut the front of the drawer off, added hinges, and was going to use magnets to hold the drawer up when in the closed position...
The only problem was that the top drawer would not fully open when the bottom drawer was in... And I tried three different times, with the hinges at three different heights... it just wasn't going to work. The top drawer cannot be a pullout drawer because of the sink, and thus I was left with the fabric option...
I asked my facebook and instagram friends and they agreed that the far left fabric that is already in Magdalen's room would be the best to go with... So, here is what I used:
The bed skirt from Magdalen's crib, that you could never see because of the design of the crib.
Here is the full project, completed!
The crib skirt was a three lengths long and I took off the top ruffle and left the last two on, and used Velcro to attach it to the top drawer front to be the oven.
The stove top- the handles were attached with screws and with wood glue so that the handles could be turned and not taken out- they have "on" and "off" written on them.
Here is the sink. The hot and cold handles are inserted the same way as the stove top handles. The sink is not glued in because I wanted her to be able to put water in it and us to be able to get rid of the water.
The J spout into faucet was the hardest part and I actually needed help from both Scott and my brother, Matt, to finish this one. Matt used some sort of router to cut a hole the correct size. I had attempted to use a drill with a wide circular bit, but it wasn't wide enough for the J spout. (We did have one wide enough for the J spout, which would have worked, if I hadn't used the smaller one first. So, if you decide to reproduce this, go to the hardware store to get a circular hole bit that is the correct size)
I also added three hooks on the one side for pails for any extra storage that matches and is fun.
So, that is it. My Christmas present, which Scott says probably cost more time and effort than getting one from the store but this one was from her Momma (And Dadee) so it means more.










No comments:
Post a Comment