Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Doctors and growing up

I gave a talk in church a few weeks ago and made a comment about Magdalen's which Scott said was not totally clear and I would be giving people updates forever.  So, instead, I figured I could do a quick post on here with an update and it may get around faster than me telling people individually. lol
When I took Magdalen in for her six month shots, the public health nurse said that it looked as if her fontanelle was closing over.  The fontanelle is the soft spot on a baby's skull, there are two of these, anterior (front) and posterior (back), and the anterior fontanelle isn't supposed to close until a child is around 18 months old.  These soft spots, along with the sutures in the skull allow for the baby's head to grow so that the brain can grow.  When these close too soon, called Craniosynostosis, the baby's brain doesn't have anywhere to go and there can be extra-cranial pressure leading to seizures and other such issues and if left untreated, brain damage or death.  Now, it doesn't seem to ever get to that point in our first world country, as these cases are realized and taken care of before that as they are easy to diagnose and are not that rare- close to 1 in 2000 cases.  Another thing that I read about Craniosynostosis, is that many cases are caught at birth because the baby's skull is fused at that point and these children need multiple surgeries to reverse this.  The treatment for such an issue is cranial surgery with a neurosurgeon and a plastic surgeon, where they cut open the skull bones, allowing space for the brain to grow.  Another common sign of Craniosynostosis is malformed heads, as the sutures on one side of the skull fuse but the other side stay open, so the brain can grown but not in the normal way it should.
So, after reading all of that, I got a little worried- those of you who know me well, know that I am a little anxious about a lot of things.
The public health nurse told me to make an appointment with my doctor to check this out and see if Magdalen had a case of Craniosynostosis.  Our doctor said that she had a good head shape, which was a good sign and said that her anterior fontanelle seemed to have closed over, in his opinion.  He said that she could still be ok without surgery as long as the sutures in her skull were still open to allow the brain to grow.  He sent us for x-rays at this point to see the skull sutures.
X-rays were not fun.  But I guess they weren't as bad a chest x-rays for babies.  They held her down with pieces of foam on her head and took six x-rays and then another two because one of the technicians' hand was in the shot.
A week later, we went in for the results and were told that the x-ray is not the proper modality to determine Craniosynostosis and a CT scan is needed.  To do a CT scan, Magdalen would need to be referred to a paediatrician.  So a week after that referral, we get a call saying that they want us to come in to meet the paediatrician December 18th, and then we will get sent for the CT scan after that.
Basically, it sounds like there are two ways this will go.  Either Magdalen's skull sutures will be fused or they won't.  If they are not fused, her brain will have room to grow and she will be fine.  If they are fused, her brain will not have room to grow on its own and she will need a surgery to cut them apart so that there will be room for her brain to grow.  So, obviously, I am hoping for the No-surgery route and that she is just fine with a smaller head.  Her daddy has a smaller head and wears toques for girls so maybe it is just fine.  His head, like hers, is not abnormally shaped, so that is my hope and prayer.  I do hear that the surgery is safe and if she does have to have it, it happens all the time and hers would be an easier case than most because it would only be one surgery and not multiple surgeries.  So, we are staying optimistic but prayers are always welcome. 
I guess this is what it means to grow up and be a mom- you get to worry about someone who isn't yourself, more than you worry about yourself and you can't do anything about it or about the outcome of the situation.  Yes, I guess I am growing up but it sure hurts some days.... But I should also say that most days this growing up into mommy-hood is pretty fun and enjoyable!  Now I should run because there is a little someone chattering away in her crib, waiting for Momma to come get her from her nap. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment