Thursday, September 6, 2012

Work/Blessings

For those who don't know, I have been working with Alberta Health Services (the government) since December in a temporary position.  It was a one year leave of absence for the lady who was in before me, also named Michelle- so bazaar!
I have been working with CAAMHP - basically children and youth mental health.  (AHS loves their acronyms and if you ask Scott, so do Social Workers. lol)
I work with the PBDC team (Pediatric Behavioural Developmental Team) at the moment.  My team consists of three people, so it is quite small and we work with children ages 5-12 who do not have a pediatrician and for whom their family doctor is querying a mental health diagnoses.  Mainly we work with children who are being tested for ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), Anxiety or ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder).  We have two pediatricians with whom we consult and who do the diagnosing and assessing while we work with families and kids to meet the treatment goals they have set.  I love the position and I really love the girls that I work with.  I have a friend at the same location as me, which means that although the east location is more of a drive than the 2-3 minutes to the south location, it is great to be where I am.  I also have an office therapy space, so I am not stuck in cubicle land (sorry, Lisa) which I would be at the south.
Because my position is temporary and is scheduled to end in December unless the other Michelle doesn't come back, I have been applying for other positions, here and at the south location.
Many of these positions have been with a group called Community Clinics (CC) and this week my supervisor called me to tell me that I had been accepted for one of these positions, full time, permanent at the east location.
What CC does:
They work with children and youth from 5 to 18 who need mental health diagnosis, already have a mental health diagnose and need assistance regarding counselling, or who just need some counselling around mental health issues.  With the larger age range comes different diagnoses and more of them as well.  Another major difference is that I will not be working with pediatricians who will do the diagnosing.  I will do that part myself, when I can and utilize other resources, such as psychiatry, when I can't.  The team is much larger and they use a lot of different paperwork and different computer systems.  It will be a learning curve in many ways and I am excited to be blessed with the opportunity.
I will start working for this new position next Monday!
Because the PBDC team is such a small team and because the position I was in ends in December, I will continue to work with this team until December.  My position was four days a week, so I will keep a caseload of that size while taking on one day a week of CC for the first few months as well as training on the new systems during this time.  I am also going to some conferences about teens so that I can gain more specified knowledge on mental health issues that affect teens.  Then in December, when Michelle comes back or her position is filled, I will take on a full caseload for CC and be fully with that team.  I think this means that I will stay in my office therapy space until then, and then move down the hall once the PBDC position is over- still not in cubicle land- yay!
Scott and I have been praying that something will work out because with him in school, it would be difficult for us to pay our bills if I was not working after December 13th.
Speaking of Scott, he starts his new job next week as well!  he has been going to meetings and orientations all week and is also doing lesson planning for both his job and his TAs.  He will be doing a lot with classes, TAs and teaching, but he says he is up for it and it will be a great opportunity for him and look great on his CV.  I don't know if we mentioned this in a previous post, but he also got an award for his TA, which he found out hasn't been given to a Stats major since his stats supervisor won it- long time!  Another thing to look good on his CV.
So, all in all, we have been greatly blessed recently and we are grateful for the prayers that were coming our way for jobs and such!  I have always known that the Lord gives us more than we deserve and this has definitely solidified that testimony in me. We are also blessed to have such great family and friends, who think of us and pray for us!  Thanks all!

No comments:

Post a Comment