Thursday, October 27, 2011

Forget-Me-Not


The first weekend in October, along with being able to move, we were blessed to listen to the prophet and the general authorities tell us what God wants us to know.  If any of you are wondering what the Lord tells his Prophet to speak to us you can visit lds.org or this link.  The Lord speaks to us through His prophets through General Conference twice a year and it is such a great blessing.  
After finishing the Book of Mormon for the second time while driving to work, I was wondering what else I could be listening to during my 2-3 hours of driving to and from work.
I decided that I would listen to the conference talks again.  Today I finished the General Relief Society message, directed to women.  I wanted to share some of Elder Ucktdorf's talk with you, as it was something I needed to hear this week.  You can find his talk here but I am only taking out a few bits and pieces.
His talk was entitled Forget Me Not and he talked about the small forget-me-not flowers.  He indicated that with each of the five petals there is something that we need to not forget.

1. Forget not to be patient with yourself.  God is fully aware that you and I are not perfect...Please remember also to be compassionate and patient with yourself...Our journey toward perfection is long, but we can find wonder and delight in even the tiniest steps in that journey.

2. Forget not the difference between a good sacrifice and a foolish sacrifice.An acceptable sacrifice is when we give up something good for something of far greater worth...How can we tell the difference for our own situation? We can ask ourselves, “Am I committing my time and energies to the things that matter most?” There are so many good things to do, but we can’t do all of them. Our Heavenly Father is most pleased when we sacrifice something good for something far greater with an eternal perspective. Sometimes, that may even mean nurturing small but beautiful forget-me-not flowers instead of a large garden of exotic blooms.
Sometimes this one is hard for me because I remember that I need to show charity to everyone and give service to everyone but sometimes it is too much.  There are times when our sacrifices are not what the Lord wants us to be doing. But there are also times when our sacrifice is just what the Lord wants and exactly what someone else needs at that time.

3. Forget not to be happy now.  There is nothing wrong with righteous yearnings—we hope and seek after things that are “virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy.”4 The problem comes when we put our happiness on hold as we wait for some future event—our golden ticket—to appear...The lesson here is that if we spend our days waiting for fabulous roses, we could miss the beauty and wonder of the tiny forget-me-nots that are all around us.
This one really touched me today.  Sometimes I am waiting and hoping and dreaming of the future so much that I forget the beautiful present.  I love my young women and my calling with them.  The service I may give them is nothing compared to the feeling of joy that I get from the Lord, knowing that I am helping Him show His daughters of their worth in His eyes.  Along with being able to touch the lives of His daughters in the church, I have the opportunity daily to touch the lives of His children, old and young, who are struggling in life.  I have the opportunity to help them realize their value and the strengths they do possess.  My job allows me to assist His children daily and I am thoroughly thankful the trust that He places in me to do that.

4. Forget not the "why" of the gospel.  While understanding the “what” and the “how” of the gospel is necessary, the eternal fire and majesty of the gospel springs from the “why.” When we understand why our Heavenly Father has given us this pattern for living, when we remember why we committed to making it a foundational part of our lives, the gospel ceases to become a burden and, instead, becomes a joy and a delight. It becomes precious and sweet.  Let us not walk the path of discipleship with our eyes on the ground, thinking only of the tasks and obligations before us. Let us not walk unaware of the beauty of the glorious earthly and spiritual landscapes that surround us.

5. Forget not that the Lord loves you.  You are not forgotten... Wherever you are, whatever your circumstances may be, you are not forgotten. No matter how dark your days may seem, no matter how insignificant you may feel, no matter how overshadowed you think you may be, your Heavenly Father has not forgotten you. In fact, He loves you with an infinite love... The love of God and the power of the restored gospel are redemptive and saving. If you will only allow His divine love into your life, it can dress any wound, heal any hurt, and soften any sorrow.  
To know that the Lord thinks of me and my life is truly humbling and something I think I need to remember more often.  He knows my trials and my strengths and He loves me for me- the way I am now.

I loved this talk.  I really felt that this was what the Lord wanted me to hear and I was grateful for the learning gained by it. 
Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.  I love the blessing that I have been given to be able to have a long drive to and from work where I can put some effort into my relationship with my Heavenly Father.  He has blessed me with so much in life and I am truly grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment