Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Covocation!

Here are some pictures from my convocation. It was Monday and my parents and Rachel and Scott's parents all came to it. It was long but I really enjoyed it. I felt so nostalgic walking across the stage, realizing that this step was over and thinking about all the things I learned and gained from this degree and the four years working towards it (more like three and a half-in Lethbridge). I really want to thank our parents, both the Robison's and the Thompson's. If it wasn't for their help and support we wouldn't have gotten to this memorial event in our lives or gotten the important education that we have. It was nice to see their support at both our convocations!

One thing that I learned especially this weekend with grad and the relief society lesson we had was that the grades don't matter. In my faculty, distinction is different than normal and only the top 10 percent get it. I was trying for it for the last year, when I got such good grades the first and I came out of the program with phenomenal grades, having some 4.0's (100%) in a few classes. Well, I did not make the cut as the grade point average that was needed was 3.98 and I didn't have that. Even when I found out and Scott told me to remember that I did the best I could, I still felt a little disappointed. Cue church... The lesson was on education and learning and about Brigham Young. He had 11 days formal education and turned out to be a very educated man due to all the knowledge he obtained on his own. One of the quotes was regarding the fact that college grades aren't the important part.
When I heard that it just hit me. When the Lord told us to gain an education, He did not ask us about our grades. Sometimes the grade can get in the way of the learning and I remember a class (Spanish) where I memorized and memorized, so worried about the grade and now what do I remember from that class? Not a whole lot. (To my credit the grade I was so worried about turned out to be a C-, so I had passed which was the worry)
The classes that I tried and really wanted to do good in are the ones that I remember and are knowledge I take with me, no matter the final grade.
I love how the Lord knows us each individually and really talks to us if we will listen... if I will listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment